WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? Bar_leftDr Thrupp any infomation?? BarDr Thrupp any infomation?? Bar_right 
Dash
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? Bar_leftDr Thrupp any infomation?? BarDr Thrupp any infomation?? Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
John Young
ADMIN
jgregory
lydenburg
Tim Needham
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Dr Thrupp any infomation??

Go down 
+2
1879graves
Drummer Boy 14
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

Dr Thrupp any infomation?? Empty
PostSubject: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 6:29 pm

What infomation is there about this man other then the fact he was with Chelsmfords force on the 22nd of
January and took Colonel Durnfords watch.

Cheers
DB14
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi DB14

James Godfrey Thrupp, Civilian Surgeon

He was attached to the 1st Battalion 24th Regiment, and was in charge of the Staff and Department during the first phase of the war. He was subsequently in charge of No 1 Field Hospital of Glyn’s Column.

He was born in Bath, Somerset and in 1901 he was living in Ealing, Middlesex as a ‘Retired Surgeon’ age 52.
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 7:27 pm

"James Godfrey Thrupp, Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (Eng) 1871
Date of registration with the General Council of Medical registration: 18 Sept 1872

In the UK Medical Register of 1878, Dr Thrupp's residence is given as 1 St George's Place, Hyde Park, London.
In the corresponding register of 1891 (next I'm able to access), his residence is 33 Curzon St, Mayfair
Then in 1896, Lyndhurst, Addlestone, Surrey
Then in 1904 & 1909, 97 Uxbridge Road, Ealing
He disappears from the medical registers by 1912

There's something in the 1904 register entry that says (St George's, Paris, Vienna, Milan). Where he studied/practiced?
Dr Thrupp was, I believe, a civilian surgeon in Natal, who volunteered for war service and was appointed as the RMO of 1st/24th. I know nothing about him prior to this. He was not only with Glyn's Column at the end of the war, but at the beginning too - he was at Isandlwana on the fateful day.

In the early hours of the morning, when Lord Chelmsford made the decision to divide his force, advancing with the 2nd/24th and leaving 1st/24th in camp, he also gave orders that no wagons were to be taken. Nobody relayed this part of his order to the Principal Medical Officer (PMO) Surgeon-Major Peter Shepherd, who decided that while he himself would stay in camp (hence 1st/24th taken care of), Dr Thrupp would go out with the Flying Column, taking two wheeled ambulances with him (contrary to the GOC's orders). He went with a handful of medics and drivers, would have tailed along behind the troops, struggled at the big dongas intersecting the Isandlwana plain,and by the time he caught up, whatever excitment there was on that side of the plain was just about over. By now concern was growing about what was going on behind them at the camp. He would have participated in the chilling return to Isandlwana that evening, slept somehwere on the battlefield, and would have been one of the last to arrive at Rorke's Drift the following morning, also of course a charnel house by this stage. He would have helped Surgeon James Reynolds (exhausted) with his surviving patients and the newly wounded, the majority of the B Coy men having cuts and grazes of one kind or another. After that...dunno, sorry.
There are two mentions of Dr Thrupp in General Orders during the Zulu War.
(See Local General Orders relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.)

No. 219, dated 10th December 1878, Times of Natal 13th December 1878.
7. Civil Surgeon Thrupp will take over medical charge of the 1-24th Regiment, in place of Civil Surgeon Hartley, reported sick.

District Order No. 9, dated 26th April 1879, Natal Mercury, 29th April 1879.
8. Civil Surgeon Thrupp will proceed on horseback to Ladysmith, where he is to report his arrival to the senior medical officer for duty."
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Just out of interest. Idea

LONDON AND MIDDLESEX CASES.

OLD COURT.—Monday, October 28th, and Tuesday 29th, 1872.

Before Mr. Deputy Recorder.

Reference Number: t18721028-708

708. LEWIS SMITH (22), a soldier, was indicted for feloniously wounding Mary Ann Webster, with intent to do her grievous bodily harm.

MR. COOPER conducted the Prosecution.

GEORGE HUDSON . I am a plumber, and live at 3, Taylor's Cottages, Lower Tooting—on 2nd September, about 9.15 at night, I was going through the Park towards Knightsbridge with four or five others, amongst them was Mary Ann Webster—we were laughing and joking with each other, and I gave her a kiss—the prisoner came up behind me and struck a blow at me with his belt and knocked my hat off—I did not hear him say anything—I did not see him do anything to Webster—I did not see whether she fell down or not—after receiving the blow I came back and took Webster to the hospital—after the blow was struck I was excited, and don't know what transpired.

Prisoner. Q. What were you saying when you passed. A. I never saw you—I did not say "What are you doing there, you brute of a soldier?"

JAMES ALLOM . I am a bricklayer, and live at 29, Sheldon Street, Edgware Road—on 2nd September, I was with the others passing through the Park; there were six of us altogether, we were walking abreast towards Knightsbridge, we were laughing and chaffing together—Hudson kissed the young woman—I said to him, "Don't be greedy," and immediately the prisoner came up from behind, and hit away with his belt right and left; I bobbed down and Hudson and his young woman received the blow; one of the blows fell on Hudson's hat and knocked it off, and another hit Webster—on turning round the prisoner said to me, "You b—, I will have you"—I fled from him; he pursued me for about five minutes; I then got assistance, and gave him in charge; the blows were given with the buckle end of his belt—I did not see any one with him when he gave the blows—when I gave him in charge he had a young woman with him—I did not hear any of our party say anything to the prisoner.

Prisoner. Q. Were you saying anything about soldiers as you passed?

See original A. No, we were talking between ourselves, and larking and joking, when you came up from behind—I did not hear you ask us to apologise for what we had said.

MARY ANN WEBSTER . I am single, and live at 3, Taylor's Cottages, Tooting—on 2nd September, about 9.15, I was in Hyde Park with my mother, Hudson, and others—we were busily engaged talking, and were certainly having a bit of fun—the prisoner came up from behind; I was struck and fell, and I remember nothing more—I was injured on my head, and was in the hospital three weeks—I have quite recovered now.

Prisoner. Q. Do you think I struck the blow at you? A. If you did not intend to hit me, you intended to hit one of the party.

JOHN WALSH . (Policeman A 99). On the night of 2nd September, about 9 o'clock, I was near Stanhope Gate—I heard cries of "Police!"—I went up and saw the prisoner pursuing Allom; I ran and stopped him, and asked if he had assaulted anybody—he said "No"—Allom told me he had assaulted a young lady, who was taken to St. George's Hospital—I took him into custody—he had his belt on.

Prisoner. Q. Was I drunk or sober? A. You were the worse for drink, but you knew well what you were doing.

JAMES GODFREY THRUPP . I am assistant house-surgeon at St. George's—the prosecutrix was brought there—I examined her head—on the upper part of the left side of the forehead there were two cuts about an inch long extending down to the bone; in one of the cuts the bone itself was fissured, or dented; a branch of the temporal artery was divided, which I had to secure—she also had a wound over the outer side of the left eye, which did not lead down to the bone—there was a great swelling over the eye, simply due to the blood which was underneath the skin—it was such a wound as a soldier's belt and buckle would produce, it was a serious wound, but she went on very well without a bad symptom.
Prisoner. Q. How would you suggest the mark came over the eye? A. Very likely by falling on the gravel—the other marks could not have been produced by that.

Prisoner's Defence. I did not intend to strike the woman, I was under the influence of drink; I don't believe there is a soldier in the army that would take his belt off with intent to strike a woman.

GUILTY of unlawfully wounding. — Nine Month's Imprisonment.

Back to top Go down
rai

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi All
Thrupp dies 10 may 1913 his death was registered in Brentford District West London.
Rai
Keynshamlighthorse
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 pm

Any photo available of his Grave / Memorial
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the infomation Idea

Cheers
DB14
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Thrupp takes the watch
Shepstone takes the pocket knife
Pearse takes the documents

Lots of people playing around with Durnfords corpse !

Regards
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Another to add maybe is Surgeon Charles Gubbins

The original of the order was found possibly elsewhere on the field that day and, if so, perhaps in Durnford’s portmanteau which had been slashed open by an assagai-stroke. Trooper A. Pearce, a Natal Carbineer, and Civil Surgeon Charles Decimus O’Grady Gubbins, Medical Officer with the l7th Lancers, both took papers from it; a fact only disclosed six years later in response to an advertisement placed in a newspaper by ‘ED, the Witness Office’.
In an affidavit dated 11 June 1886, which was copied to Offy and reproduced in The Times of Natal, Gubbins swore that to the best of his recollection what he had sent to Frances in response to the advertisement was ‘an instruction from Lord Chelmsford to Colonel Durnford as to the commanding of the troops at Isandhlwana’. Like Crealock, Gubbins was not immaculate in recall; less than a year before he had told her that the papers did not contain the final order Harriette Colenso - a reporter of unquestionable integrity - informed The Times of Natal that Gubbins’s parcel had contained ‘nothing bearing on the events of that day at Isandhlwana’.

Cheers
DB14
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi DB14

When was Surgeon Charles Gubbins supposed to have taken papers from Durnford's body? scratch
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi 1879 Graves

I have no idea scratch

That passage is from the Anglo Zulu War Histroical Socity journels

That was the first i had heard of it.

Cheers
DB14
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Here is the full account

The original of the order was found possibly elsewhere on the field that day and, if so, perhaps in Durnford’s portmanteau which had been slashed open by an assagai-stroke. Trooper A. Pearce, a Natal Carbineer, and Civil Surgeon Charles Decimus O’Grady Gubbins, Medical Officer with the l7th Lancers, both took papers from it; a fact only disclosed six years later in response to an advertisement placed in a newspaper by ‘ED, the Witness Office’. (28)
In an affidavit dated 11 June 1886, which was copied to Offy and reproduced in The Times of Natal, Gubbins swore that to the best of his recollection what he had sent to Frances in response to the advertisement was ‘an instruction from Lord Chelmsford to Colonel Durnford as to the commanding of the troops at Isandhlwana’. (29) Like Crealock, Gubbins was not immaculate in recall; less than a year before he had told her that the papers did not contain the final order (30) Harriette Colenso - a reporter of unquestionable integrity - informed The Times of Natal that Gubbins’s parcel had contained ‘nothing bearing on the events of that day at Isandhlwana’. (31)
What may be reasonably concluded from the available evidence? First, Offy Shepstone did not remove the final order from Durnford’s body. (32) Second, Fred Pearce’s letter about his brother’s find did not claim that the final order was among the papers picked up and Adrian Greaves article in the AZWHS Journal (33) appears to make clear that it was not. However, it cannot be definitely ruled out that he was the finder, though - for reasons which appear later in this article - it is unlikely. Gubbins was certainly not the discoverer, a fact that poses another interesting question. What motivated a relatively young professional man (At 31 years of age he was unlikely to have been suffering from seriously impaired memory) who went on to become Natal’s Colonial Secretary in 1906 (34) to furnish a sworn statement containing misleading information, inspiring yet another newspaper attack on the Colensos? It might have been part of Offy’s campaign to clear his name.

Cheers
DB14
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Dr Thrupp any infomation??   Dr Thrupp any infomation?? EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi DB14

The following answers my question Idea

Quote :
Gubbins was certainly not the discoverer,
Back to top Go down

Dr Thrupp any infomation??
Page 1 of 1