Hi GaryThe Grand Cinema[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Located in the Foleshill district to the north of the city. The Foleshill Palace was opened on 18th October 1911. It was built for and operated by Charles Orr who went on to operate a small local chain of cinemas in the city. Seating was provided for 450 on a single raked level. It was renamed Grand Picture Palace on 20th December 1911. In 1919 the building was enlarged to seat 900.
In 1928 it was enlarged again, and with the addition of a balcony could seat 1,600. A tea room and waiting lounge had also been added, and it had been equipped with a ‘grand organ’. It re-opened still as a silent cinema on 22nd November 1928. In March 1929 it was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system.
In 1934 it was re-named Regal Cinema and the screen was brought forward of the stage, reducing the seating capacity to 1,016, and leaving unused 600 seats and the original silent screen painted on the rear wall all hidden from view. In March 1939 it was taken over by Oscar Deutsch and became part of his Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain.
The Regal Cinema was closed by the Rank Organisation on 26th November 1960. The auditorium was soon demolished and a workshop was built on the site. The façade was re-modelled, removing the original decorative tiles, and the foyer/front section of the building became a Sketchley dry cleaners. In 2015 it is used as a cash & carry store and Halal meat shop.The Tivoli Cinema[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Located at the corner of Foleshill Road and Webster Street. The Foleshill Picture Palace was opened in October 1913. It was designed by Coventry architect T.R.J. Meakin, and seating was provided for 339 in the stalls and an unknown number in a small circle area.
By 1916, it had been re-named Tivoli Picture House. The Tivoli Picture House was closed in 1930 as a silent cinema, and never re-opened.
By 1931, it had become the Tivoli Skating Rink, and by the late-1930’s was the Foleshill Palace Billiards Hall. The building later became a furniture warehouse for the Co-Operative Society, and was later used as a theatre for the Wheatsheaf Players amateur dramatic society, and was known as the Webster Street Studio until 1980.
It was demolished in September 1980, and a Co-Operative Society supermarket was built on the site, which by 2008 was the Foleshill Warehouse, a discount cash & carry store.