WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 9:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 3:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 12:28 pm by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 10:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 3:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 5:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 6:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 6:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 4:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 6:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 6:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 12:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 1:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 3:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 3:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 12:05 pm by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 12:05 am by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 10:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 10:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 8:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 1:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 9:39 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
No user
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 6:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 9:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 9:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:47 pm by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Durnford's Level of Culpability

Go down 
+6
gardner1879
SRB1965
aussie inkosi
Julian Whybra
Frank Allewell
BobTiernan
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Julian Whybra

Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 6:42 pm

Simon
I shall have to look up the details for you.  It worked out at 2 waggons per company plus the canteen-cooks-supply waggon - Jackson's diagram on p. 15 of HOTS is accurate.
Back to top Go down
BobTiernan

PostSubject: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 9:38 pm

"Being as was only a temporary camp"

That describes almost all of them, and Chelmsford instructions, so far as I know, did not
exempt these from precautions.

Bob
Back to top Go down
BobTiernan

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 9:46 pm

I have read in some of these messages that the Martini-Henry carbines and rifles used different cartridges. I don't know enough about such details of those weapons to know. In the US when the
1873 Springfield was introduced to the army there was a rifle version and a carbine for the cavalry, but they had the same action and used the same cartridge with the only difference being that the carbine used less powder in the shell (50 grains, or a 45-50 cartridge it was called) so as to reduce the discharge kick for soldiers firing while mounted, and the fully packed cartridge held 70 grains of powder (the 45-70 cartridge is was called), but it was the same cartridge. I have a 73 carbine with an 1874 serial number -- I'll fire just two or three rounds and I get a black and blue bruise on the shoulder.

Bob
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 9:55 pm

BobTiernan wrote:
"Being as was only a temporary camp"

That describes almost all of them, and Chelmsford instructions, so far as I know, did not
exempt these from precautions.

Bob

Hi Bob,

The quote above was I reference to the location of waggons, in particular the supply waggon..

However Lord C was with the Centre Column and he made no reference or attempt to take precautions....was there a camp with Lord C present that he fortified, since entering Zululand?

To opposite - he actively dissuaded commanders from taking precautions, in that Bashe Valley.

I'm not sure how we square that circle?

Cheers

Simon
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 9:58 pm

Hi bob

What I believe was said was that the MH carbine and rifle (and Swinburn Henry carbine) used the same ammunition at this time and the low load red patched carbine rounds did not arrive until March.

Cheers

Simon
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 28, 2023 10:00 pm

SRB1965 wrote:
Re Durnfords Waggons

One thing to consider in the Durnford Ammo situation was that any Martini ammo could have been used by the Martini Henry and Swinburn Henry Carbines.

In fact in the opening stages of the AZW carbine ammunition was not available - it seems that the red patched carbine (lower load) ammo was a 'new' innovation.

According to Neil Aspinshaw (on the old Rorkes Drift forum) -

The reality is that to fire a rifle round in the carbine is unpleasant, but not overtly bad. The variance in recoil means you have to hold onto the carbine a little more as it jumps about a bit.

I doubt though in the opening stages of the AZW that the carbine load was actually available. Most of the ammunition would have been circa 1876-77 manufacturing dates.

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnfords level of culpability    Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 12:55 am

Hi Frank
Just to clarify Mate Ian K has never stood on the bridge and said this was the position where they defended the Donga , Rob Gerrard had them on the ' other side of the current road ' !! , I didn't think so , as I wrote yesterday unfortunately with limited detail , near the Medical centre....I should've clarified was 150 - 200 metres south of the said Medical centre. Did
you watch us against the Kiwis ? ....that was a match for the Ages ! , where would one start in summary !? . Very Happy.
90th.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 5:53 am

Morning Gary
Never mentioned Ian at all mate. I would dispute the south of the medical centre. Mainwaring has an exact measurement, puts it in front, North, of the centre. I am aware of the positioning south and the tell tale marks but there is no guarantee that was the original track. As I pointed out the track has moved back and forwards many times. The fact that spent ammo was found in that location ( I have some) again only shows the line stretched that far.
Have to go with the measurements taken in September 1879.
Couldnt believe the tension on the field between Aussie and the Kiwi teams, brilliant display by both. The top 4 are going to be forces to be reckoned with. after winning the Rugby world cup last night, thoughts are daring to turn to the double! Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
BobTiernan

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 6:41 am

SRB,

EVen though the Central column had only just entered Zululand itself when it cross the
Buffalo, colonials felt that even camps on the west side should be fortified to some extent.
I'll stick with just the camps in Zululand itself.

Morris makes the case that although Chelmsford wanted laagering if entrenching was not done
he knew there was no time to do this at every camp and that proper picketing would or should
provide enough warning of any approaching Zulus to allow time for deploying for defense. He's
right, more or less.

He also mentions that regimental wagons (and presumably those of colonial units) were behind the
tent areas, just as Jackson shows on his camp layout sketch. I will never say that all of the other wagons or even most of them should have been brought into an arc in front of the camp, but a number of them could have been. And like I said, it may be that because this was felt to be
inconvenient, Chelmsford lost over 1,500 men and had to start over again four months later.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 9:22 am

SRB
There was no camp constructed/fortified by Glyn's column on the Zulu side of the river in the first invasion.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 10:22 am

Julian Whybra wrote:
SRB
There was no camp constructed/fortified by Glyn's column on the Zulu side of the river in the first invasion.

Thanks Julian,

It was more of a rhetorical question to reinforce my PoV that despite Lord Cs instructions - nothing was done to implement defences in his own column.

Maybe I should wrote it as a statement.

Thanks

Simon
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford's Level of Culpability   Durnford's Level of Culpability - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 29, 2023 10:24 am

SRB
It's OK! Just as well to be clear!
Back to top Go down

Durnford's Level of Culpability
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5